Inspired Evolution Investment Management
To Apply Email
Head of Finance (Cape Town)
Job Title: Head of Finance
Company: Inspired Evolution Investment Management (Proprietary) Limited
Reports to: Managing Partners (London and Cape Town)
Managing: Group companies, funds, accounting support staff and service providers
Location: Cape Town
1. Job Purpose
Working closely with the Managing Partners, accounting support staff, tax, audit and back office finance and
administration service providers, as well as the rest of the team at Inspired Evolution, this role is
responsible for the overall finance function of the group. As head of finance, primary responsibilities
will include oversight all aspect of financial reporting, control, legal and tax compliance, and financial
performance of the group and its funds under management.
2. Background and Opportunity
Inspired Evolution currently manages two private equity funds, Evolution I and II funds with committed
capital of USD320m. Evolution I Fund was launched in 2008, made 12 investments and is a top-quartile
performer benchmarked against similar specialised global funds of the same vintage. Evolution I Fund is
fully divested with the exception of one remaining portfolio investment that will be exited in 2021.
Evolution II Fund is a 2017 vintage 10-year fund with USD216m of committed capital. Evolution II’s
mandate covers equity and equity-related investments into two principle investment streams:
development and project finance infrastructure-type investments in clean and sustainable energy; and
growth equity investments in energy and resource efficiency companies, and the value chains that support
them across priority sub-Saharan African countries. Evolution II has made seven investments to date with
two to three investments remaining.
Inspired Evolution has expanded its African footprint and capacity to become one of Africa’s premier
specialised investment advisory firms in clean energy and climate-related finance and is targeting a
USD500m capital raise in late 2021 through a suit of new generation Evolution III funds. Inspired Evolution
has regional and country offices located at Grand Bay in Mauritius, Abidjan in Cote d’Ivoire, Nairobi in
Kenya, London in the U.K. with its headquarters in Cape Town, South Africa.
3. Roles and Responsibilities
• Oversees all aspects of financial reporting, control, legal and tax compliance and performance.
• Preparation of statutory financial statement in multiple jurisdictions as well as monthly / quarterly
• Preparation and/or review of various deliverables required for quarterly reporting to investors and
responding to investor queries.
• Prepare audit information and manage the audit process of the various entities within the deadlines
which include various Fund entities and South African advisor.
• Ensure compliance from a finance perspective with the various legal agreements which include the
LPA, Investor side letters and Advisory agreements.
• Cash management which aligns with issuing of drawdown notices to investors, budgeting, accounts
payable, payroll, tax, advisory fees, and relationships with bankers.
• Manage tax and regulatory compliance across various entities and jurisdictions.
• Liaising with various professional service providers which include Maitland (outsourced administrators),
KPMG (auditors), Quotient (local outsourced accountants) and other ad-hoc professional providers
such as tax and legal.
• Assist with the establishment and management of African regional offices in Nairobi, Abidjan and
• Provide assistance to portfolio company investments as required.
• Support the transactions team with portfolio transaction structuring, tax efficiency, tax and legal
compliance, treasury issues and valuations.
4. Ideal Candidate
• Cape Town-based CA(SA) or equivalent in good standing with +10 years post articles experience.
• Preference will be given to those coming from a private equity background.
• Renewable energy exposure will be an advantage.
• High aptitude for problem analysis and resolution.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Strong quantitative and deductive reasoning skills and be IT proficient, particularly with Word, Excel
• Competitive package which includes annual bonus and share in carry (profit) at discretion of
• Ability and willingness to travel to regional offices.
6. Employment Equity
Preference will be given to candidates that are female and of African ethnicity.
Tel : +27 (0)21 702 1290
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the
basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran
status, or disability status.