Inspired Evolution Investment Management
To Apply Email
In-house Legal Advisor
Inspired Evolution established in 2007 as a specialised investment advisory business dedicated
to two principle investment themes: clean energy infrastructure-type development and project
finance investments; and energy and resource efficiency growth investments – and the value
chains that support them. Inspired Evolution’s investment territory comprises sub-Saharan
Africa. Inspired Evolution has its head office in Cape Town, supported by regional and country
offices in London, Nairobi, Mauritius and Abidjan. Inspired Evolution manages Evolution I and II
funds with over $300 million of committed capital.
As a team we’re responsible for the investment advice to our Evolution funds. In carrying out
these financial services duties we’ve identified the need to recruit and appoint an appropriately
qualified and experienced in-house Legal Advisor to join our executive team at our head office in
The principal role of the Legal Advisor will be to provide legal advisory and support services to
the Company and its deal team to ensure the effective management of legal and contractual risks
for all fund portfolio investments and their underlying projects within the respective national
laws and regulations across our Sub-Saharan African territory. In addition, to ensure ongoing
compliance with all fund documentation and investor side letter provisions, and coordinate
appropriate service level agreements with various local, regional and international professional
service providers that support the Company’s investment advisory recommendations.
The roles and responsibilities of the Legal Advisor will include, but is not limited to:
Investor and fund compliance
- Ensure the Company is operating within the contractual investment mandates from our
respective international investors, as well as within the terms of any side letters and that
operational and governance aspects are appropriate and adhered to.
- Advise the GP on operational issues pertaining to governance, particularly in respect to the
offshore compliance requirements, and prepare special resolutions and extracts of minutes.
- Recommend effective and efficient tax structures for the Company and Portfolio Companies.
Company support and legal services
- Monitor and advise on relevant legislation impacting the Company and ensure the business
is kept abreast of new legislative and regulatory developments.
- Document legal, commercial and risk policies and processes, where required, to ensure the
effective operation of the Company.
- Evaluate new business partnerships with vendors and subcontractors.
- Provide strategic corporate counsel and efficient resolution of all legal issues, and represent
the Company in any legal disputes, if required.
- Conduct detailed legal reviews, assessing the legal issues relating to investment transactions
and the legal and commercial implications of any contractual arrangements, with a view of
protecting the Company against legal risks and violations and advising on any risks that need
to be addressed.
- Assist with the analysis, interpretation and applying of federal, state, local government,
international funder and private funder statutes, rules, and regulations applicable to each
- Negotiate, review and draft required documentation for various financial, commercial and
other business transactions, such as contracts and agreements and ensure that they are
compliant with all statutory and legal requirements within the jurisdictions that they are to
- Assist with legal due diligence and the integration of portfolio companies and ensuring that
portfolio companies fit into the compliance framework, advising on best practices and
- Understand which contracts are in place, how those would be affected by new agreements
and advising management accordingly.
- Ensure relevant stakeholders are engaged prior to contract expiry dates and assist the Company in identifying and mitigating legal risk and enforcing contract terms.
- Company Secretarial
- Ensure all statutory records are maintained in accordance with the Companies Act, including
Memorandum of Incorporation, registration documents, share registers and minute books.
- Ensure that all necessary returns and notices have been filed in accordance with the
- Provide the directors of the board with guidance as to their duties, responsibilities and
powers and make the directors aware of any law relevant to the Company.
- Ensure the board and board sub-committee charters are kept up to date and are in line with
the requirements of King IV.
The role of Legal Advisor requires the following skills and experience:
- Legal specialist with a minimum of 2 years post-admission experience specialising in
- Strong negotiation and communication skills, with an excellent command of English, both
written and verbal.
- Sharp attention to detail, preferably with a corporate legal track record in an investment
environment in South Africa (Sub-Saharan Africa experience advantageous).
- Good knowledge of the Companies Act, King III and IV and listed requirements.
- Able to interpret legislation and regulatory frameworks within various jurisdictions, as well
as identify and effectively manage legal risks and recommend appropriate remedial courses
What’s on Offer
Employment Terms: Standard company executive service contract with 6-month
Location: Cape Town
Reports to: Investment Principals and Managing Partners
Remuneration: Market-based compensation – to be determined (based on
candidate’s skills, experience and relevant track record).
Remuneration package: (1) guaranteed annual gross remuneration; (2) annual
discretionary performance bonus; (3) carry share.
Commencement Date: Immediate
Contact: Heidi Stiger
Tel : +27 (0)21 702 2190
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not
discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age,
marital status, veteran status, or disability status.