To Apply Email
Senior Investment Associate
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Knife Capital is a venture capital investment manager that accelerates the international expansion of African innovation-driven businesses by leveraging knowledge, networks and funding. Knife has several funds under management and a value chain approach to investing from post-seed to Series B and beyond.
Knife Capital follows the approach of FIND, MAKE, GROW and REALISE as its full investment journey. As a team, everyone at Knife Capital is applying their own skills to different stages in this VC investment cycle.
This is an opportunity to be part of a small & experienced investment team where you will have visibility on the entire investment process and will be able to influence it. But you need to be a self-starter who can hit the investment analysis road running from day 1.
This role will complement a highly driven team as follows:
FIND: To evaluate investment opportunities that fit the mandates of our various funds. Market research on exciting investment sectors. The successful candidate will already have an established network in place that will enable them to be a key contributor in finding great investments. The analyst will conduct entrepreneur pitch meetings and prepare the initial investment documentation for internal analysis. You will assist those entrepreneurs we can’t invest in through mentorship and referrals to other funders to leave a positive mark. And in a post-COVID world you will be attending networking events and ensure that you stay close to the entrepreneurial ecosystem.
MAKE: To conduct a detailed due diligence, incorporating other team members where appropriate, analysing complex business models and identifying possible exit strategies. The successful candidate will analyse historical financials and work with the entrepreneurs to improve their 5-year financial model. You will do an objective valuation of each business making use of IPEV principals combined with your own experience in this field. One of your key responsibilities will be to prepare the Investment Memorandum to be presented by the Investment Team to the Investment committee. In addition, you will assist with reviewing and negotiating transaction legal documents.
GROW: To assist in engineering growth for each portfolio company post investment, focusing on market access and strategic projects. This will include monthly reporting on financial metrics, key challenges, opportunities, significant events and client pipeline of each company. You will assist the portfolio companies with follow-on fund-raising rounds, general problem-solving and adding value to the portfolio companies in meaningful ways.
REALISE: To embody the philosophy of ‘exit-centric business building’ throughout the investment life-cycle. Market research and design of the exit strategy and supporting the Investment partner in building the sell-side data room for the exit of portfolio companies.
- Administration, Research and Analysis
- Critical and objective thinking with good judgement
- Practical problem-solving related to growth of early-stage businesses
- Marketing and Communication – Verbal and written
- Performance Reporting
- Attribution Analysis, Risk Management and Reporting
- Curious, proactive and highly collaborative
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Documenting, analysing and reporting of findings
- Presentation skills
- Scenario planning
- Passionate about building a cohesive African early-stage investment ecosystem
- High level of motivation and desire to be part of building out a growing investment firm
- Fun person adding his/her uniqueness to the team culture
Qualifications / Experience:
- Financial base B.Comm degree.
- CA(SA), CIMA, CFA, MBA will be advantageous.
- 5-10 years’ experience in an early-stage investment environment.
- Knife Capital is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org on/before 8 August 2021